VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone, so that each person has the health care needed to thrive. We develop solutions that improve equity and access to primary health care. This includes making sure products are available when and where they are needed and primary health care services are delivered to the most under-reached. Radical collaboration with governments, the private sector and other partners strengthen our ability to scale and sustain these solutions. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 46 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach has offices in Malawi, Mozambique, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and in Seattle (USA). We also have team members located in Cote D’Ivoire, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Liberia, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Nigeria.
VillageReach invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Manager Research, Evidence amp; Learning (REL). REL supports VillageReach programs in monitoring and evaluation (Mamp;E) efforts to improve program performance, generate evidence of program impact and promote a culture of learning. Ideal candidates are experienced in designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation plans, experienced in quantitative amp; qualitative methods, experience managing research projects, and skilled in business development including building relationships with donors and writing proposals. A masters’ degree in public health, mathematics, statistics, demography, epidemiology or similar field is required, with proven experience evaluating health supply chains, and conducting rigorous quantitative data analysis. This is a 6 month temporary position.
Research, Evidence and Learning team members support a portfolio of programs, typically supporting 3-5 programs simultaneously. Typical support includes design of monitoring and evaluation plans, support with routine data collection, cleaning and analysis, design and implementation of evaluations at key points in a programs lifespan, donor reporting, and proposal development for fundraising. Examples of potential work assignments are below:
- Serve as the Mamp;E Manager for the Drones for Health program in Malawi, implemented under the leadership of the Ministry of Health by VillageReach, drone service provider Swoop Aero, and up to 20 District Health Offices. Drones are used to supply hard-to-reach health centers with needed vaccines, blood and emergency medicines, and other essential medical products on-demand, including collection of lab samples for testing at district laboratories. For more information on the Drones for Health program, please visit: https://www.villagereach.org/work/drones-for-healt. and https://www.focusingphilanthropy.org/drones-for-he.
- Serve as the Mamp;E specialist for VillageReach’s supply chain for community health workers in Liberia. This includes design of Mamp;E plans, creation of data collection tools, analysis and reporting of routine data, and the design and implementation of operational research identify the most influential contextual factors and key lessons learned of how to improve the implementation context for success.
- Provide monitoring and evidence support to other programs as needed including design of monitoring and evaluation plans, cleaning and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, programmatic recommendations based on learning, donor reporting, and managing internal and external research projects and evaluations.
- Support the business development through contributing to funding proposals.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration amp; Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners amp; stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity amp; Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation amp; Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education amp; Experience:
- A masters’ degree in public health, mathematics, statistics, demography, epidemiology or similar field is required.
- At least five years of experience in monitoring and evaluation (Mamp;E), health research, or similar field.
- Strong understanding of public health supply chains; experience leading monitoring and evaluation projects for public health supply chain programs, including transportation of health products and product management and reporting at the health facility level is required.
- Proven experience conducting rigorous quantitative analyses and presenting results visually in graphs/charts
- (demonstrated through writing and research paper samples).
- Fluency in English and one or more local languages in Malawi is required.
- A working understanding of effective approaches to monitor and evaluate programs including; methodology and data collection tools development, ability to find and gather data from a variety of sources, and training and capacity building to improve data collection and quality; hands-on experience with Evaluations preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income settings.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Experience in digital data collection, quantitative data analysis and data visualization software such as STATA, R, PowerBI, Tableau and ArcGIS preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in data management and work with databases.
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities, and ability to synthesize and deliver information to diverse audiences in a clear and concise way. Writing reports and proposals for the Ministry of Health and donors will be a routine part of the job.
- Skilled in managing programs and research projects including creating workplans, facilitating team meetings, training data collectors and health workers, and working with team members across districts and countries to ensure deliverables are met.
- Ability to work independently with little direct oversight while still maintaining high quality work.
- Ability to work and collaborate remotely with an international workforce across all time zones.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
Environment and Physical Demands
Due to the time zone differences between our offices in the US, DRC, Malawi and Mozambique and location of other global staff, staff located in Europe and Africa are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm and staff based in the US are expected to be available start at 6am.
Most of the work will be sitting or standing at a computer. Travel to remote and hard-to-reach locations where program work is conducted to collaborate with other staff, conduct supportive supervisions, collect and present data is required.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until 15 July 2021. To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY amp; INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.